In the modern day and age most of us have portable electronic devices like laptops, smartphones and iPads that are used for work and for personal reasons alike. But, there are many who use desktops and other non-portable devices, which run on direct electricity in homes and offices. What happens to them when there is power outage? Well, it’s simple. They can then use an UPS which will help them save the current data without losing it due to a sudden cut in the electricity.
1. Before buying an UPS, one must know and familiarize oneself about the object. What is an UPS? The full form of UPS is Uninterruptible Power Supply. It basically helps in saving and giving power to the computer to save your data when there is a shortage of electricity. In short, it is a lifesaver in times of load shedding. The UPS is basically a battery, which can be fixed between the computer and the power source. It has two main uses:
• It can be used as a backup power source. It must be noted, though, that the system has to be recharged when there is electricity for it to work when there is none. It is also to be noted that the charge time varies from system to system. Some bigger ones can take hours to charge but with time better and faster ones are slowly emerging.
• The second use is that of a power regulator. Power spikes and power surges are quite common in our country and can easily ruin our computers. Even sudden voltage fluctuations can be dangerous for the machine. An UPS can save the machine from feeling these surges and spikes and can easily save them from harm.
2. Once a user is familiar with what a UPS is, the next step is to understand that there are different kinds of UPS systems in the market from various companies. With time, companies have developed systems which are compatible with every need and machines. A good research on them is very much needed to understand the right UPS for you. Online forums are one of the best places to find out more about UPS, as one gets to talk directly with customers who can tell you the pros and cons of a specific UPS and its brand. Nowadays even brands are trying to directly talk to the consumers for them to better understand their product.
3. One’s work does not only end by getting a branded UPS, one has to make sure that they have a minimum of a year’s worth of guarantee and that the customer care to always there to help the user in need. A warranty and a guarantee ensure that the UPS will get attention when the need arises.
A UPS can save the life of one’s computer and ensure a better longevity of the machine. By knowing ones machine and its needs and finding the perfect UPS to pair it up with one can ensure that a non-portable machine can run as well with no electricity in times of dire needs.